Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shattered Pieces and Wholeness Found




I hold the idea of Wabi-sabi in the small of my palm, like a million pieces of shattered crystal - and I observe and learn. All of these shattered pieces are metaphors for my own life. Most of my learning (and unlearning) is done by asking questions, though sometimes by just paying attention. How do these pieces feel in the palm of my open hand; and closed? What changes do I notice amongst those little pieces as the light reflects and refracts off them? Do any of these little pieces absorb the light? Is there one specific piece I notice more than the others? What happens when I close my hand and allow very little light against the pieces; is any of the crystal visible in complete darkness? What about the shards, will they cut and cause me hurt? Can I perceive the whole of everything I hold while at the same time noticing the brokenness? In the brokenness isn't there also a wholeness? Doesn't each piece hold its own identity and yet isn't each piece still a part of the whole? These are the kinds of questions I ask...and rest with.

No comments:

Post a Comment